What do I need to know about shipping?
Unfortunately due to shipping restrictions beyond our control, all orders containing either the Creme Developer or Powder Lightener must be shipped via ground. We cannot ship the Lightening Kit to PO Boxes, Hawaii, APOs, FPOs, or international destinations. All international customers will be responsible for customs, duties, & VAT charges.
All shipments are sent via USPS. If your tracking number takes you to the DHL site please click HERE to track your package via USPS.
Can I purchase goodDYEyoung at a retailer?
For now, the only place you can buy GDY is gooddyeyoung.com.
When will you be offering more colors and new products?
We’re creating new colors and new products right now! Sign up for our newsletter HERE to get updates and be the first to know about all things GDY.
Can I mix colors to achieve a different color not currently offered on the site?
Absolutely!! We at GDY believe in creative freedom and have made it easy for you to self express. You can also use our Fader to make any of your favorite shades a pastel or a less pigmented and intense color if that's what you're looking for. Look for instructional videos on how to create some of our favorite custom colors coming soon! If you use GDY to create your own custom color, share photos of your final results and let us know how you did it!
What type of hair dye is goodDYEyoung?
goodDYEyoung is a semi-permanent vegan hair dye with no PPD, no peroxide, no ammonia and no other harmful ingredients. GDY is not tested on animals.
Are your products vegan and cruelty-free?
All goodDYEyoung Beautifully Obnoxious semi-permanent hair colors are PETA certified vegan and cruelty-free. Our current GDY Lightening Kit is cruelty-free but not vegan. The Powder Lightener contains keratin to help strengthen and protect porous hair. We’re happy to say we’re already working on a Vegan GDY Lightening Kit and we’ll let you know when it’s ready to go!
Do the colors need to be mixed with developer? Can I seal the unused portion and use it later or does it have an expiration date?
Our colors do not need to be mixed with a developer. You can use the color straight from the tube. You may seal the unused portion and use it later. The product will last up to 12 months after opened.
Do you offer professional stylist discounts?
We currently do not offer a pro discount, but we’re working on it and hope to have a professional discount program in place in the near future.
What is the best way to get started with dyeing my hair?
You should always perform a strand test first. See more info HERE!
How do I determine if I need more than one bottle of dye?
This depends on the length, thickness and texture of your hair. The average person will probably need 2 bottles of dye for their hair to be beautifully obnoxious! If you have what you would consider to be more than average hair in length or thickness then adjust accordingly.
Do I have to pre-lighten my hair before coloring with GDY?
To ensure you get the most vibrant and colorful results from GDY, we recommend that you pre-lighten your hair using our Lightening Kit.
How does the Lightening Kit work?
We at GDY have made this easy for you! We've measured both the Creme Developer and the Powder Lightener already and you simply mix one bottle of the Creme Developer with one packet of Powder Lightener, making sure to mix to a nice even cream consistency. Make sure you get professional advice when lightening or removing color.
How many of the Lightening Kits will I need?
This depends on whether you are simply doing a small section of your hair or the entire head. An entire head could require about three Lightener Kits. Just remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry and have extra on hand just in case. You will be mixing one bottle and one packet at a time as to not be wasteful. That way if you don't need the others you can save them for next time!
How long should I wait to wash my hair after I dye it?
We recommend waiting as long as you can before the first wash. But if you must wash right away, you might wanna try using cool or cold water. This keeps the color locked into the hair.
What is GDY Fader?
Our Fader is the ultimate customization tool in our current line-up. GDY dyes are pretty intense and just in case that’s not the look you’re going for, our Fader helps to control the intensity of whatever color(s) you mix it with. Use it to create pastel shades by mixing it with any of the GDY dyes and create your own custom hair color!
How do I perform a strand test?
- Put plastic gloves on to protect your hands from the dye.
- Choose a small group of strands on the under layer of your hair that are easy to access, but will not be visible after the test. Make sure the strand is thick enough to see the results clearly.
- Squeeze out one teaspoon of your preferred GDY shade, and apply it to the strand saturating the strand completely.
- Wrap tinfoil around the saturated strand to protect it from bleeding into the rest of your hair.
- Leave strand test on for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Rinse well with cold water.
- Check out the results!
What advice can you give to avoid allergic reactions?
goodDYEyoung hair color is PPD free to minimize the risk of adverse reactions, but it’s still recommended you perform a patch test by using the following method:
- Choose a small area of skin roughly the size of a penny for the test, preferably somewhere discreet such as behind the ear or in the inner fold of your elbow.
- Wash the test area with water and soap and dab dry with a clean towel.
- Place a thin coating of your chosen GDY dye upon the test area.
- Allow the dye to dry and leave it undisturbed and uncovered for 24 hours.
- Examine the test area for any signs of irritation. If there is a negative reaction, then the product should not be used by that person under any circumstances.
How long do you keep GDY on your hair? And is it applied to dry hair?
Apply GDY to dry hair. Leave GDY dye on for at least 30 minutes. You can leave the color on for up to one hour for more vibrant results.
How do I extend the life of my GDY color?
Try these tips:
- Skip shampoos! The more you wash your hair, the more your color will fade.
- Rinse with cool water when you do shampoo...cold water if you’re brave.
- Conditioning treatments! You can actually use our Fader as a hair mask! Leave it in for 10-15 minutes and reap the benefits of Sunflower Oil and Bergamot which can help to stimulate hair growth and the overall health and look of your hair.
- Put a few drops of your GDY color into your shampoo and conditioner. This will put pigment back into the hair anytime you shampoo and condition.
And avoid these:
- Washing your hair excessively
- Hot oil treatments
- Alcohol-based hair products such as hairspray, gel or mousse
- Washing hair with strong shampoos such as anti-dandruff, deep cleansing, clarifying and all-purpose varieties
- Prolonged exposure to salt water and harsh sunlight
- Chemicals in swimming pools
What if I have to remove my GDY color?
Darker colors may take a longer time to fade and can leave behind a slight halo of tint during the removal process. The results of hair color removal and fading vary from person to person.
If you want a quick way to begin to fade your GDY hair color, simply do all the above things that were suggested NOT to do if you wanted to preserve your color. If you need to fade your color FAST, it’s always best to go to a professional. If this isn’t an option, you can purchase a color removing product and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Will GDY shades show up on my hair without pre-lightening?
For sure, you can have fun with GDY hair color without pre-lightening your hair. Here’s how:
- Wash with a deep cleansing shampoo. Do not use conditioner!
- Use a hair dryer to make sure the hair is completely dry and extra porous.
- Use your chosen GDY hair color.
- Wrap hair in a plastic cap.
- Leave the color to set and dry for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave it, however, the greater the effect.
- Once dry, rinse hair with cold water to remove excess and keep doing so until the water runs clear.
- Dry and style as you would normally.
For improved results, use a hair dryer to add heat to the hair for an extended period of time before you apply GDY to help open up the hair cuticles and allow deeper penetration of color.
What is your best advice for coloring your hair?
Here are our Ten Commandments (Hair Dye Musts):
- Always perform a strand test and patch test before using hair dye.
- Perform strand test before mixing GDY!
- Always wear a pair of protective gloves when dyeing.
- Use petroleum jelly or a thick conditioner around your hairline to prevent staining your skin. If staining occurs, try using ashes or toothpaste to remove the stain.
- Wear old clothes and use a towel that you don’t mind staining.
- Place newspaper or towels around where you’re dyeing to protect surfaces from staining.
- Use mirrors both in front and behind you if applying GDY hair dye if you are doing it yourself so that you don’t miss any spots!
- Rinse your hair in the sink rather than the shower to avoid staining surfaces such as your bathtub.
- Always use cold water when rinsing out GDY hair dye.
- It’s recommended you don’t wash your hair with shampoo or conditioner for at least a week after dyeing.
How do I create multi-toned GDY hair color looks?
Using a comb, part your hair horizontally across the center of your head from ear to ear for two tones, OR if you want three tones, section your hair into three distinct sections top, middle, and bottom.
- Using hair clips, separate a top and bottom section of hair.
- Use GDY, in a color of your choice, on the top half first and make sure not to get any on the bottom section. If you are doing three sections, choose three colors.
- Prevent the top half from bleeding onto the bottom by wrapping it in a plastic cap or tin foil.
- Apply the second GDY hair dye color to the bottom half (or middle and then the next color to the bottom if doing three shades).
- Wrap the bottom section in a similar fashion to the top.
- Wait approximately an hour for the dye to process.
- Carefully rinse the top section of hair first with cold water until it runs clear.
- Rinse the middle and the bottom section by the same method.
- Dry hair and style it as per usual.
If performing a rainbow effect, you can use a thick conditioner or coconut oil as a color blocker to keep certain parts of the hair color free.
Does GDY cover gray hair?
Not totally, but for sure GDY definitely blends gray hairs, and the gray hairs add a kind of cool highlight. Darker GDY colors can cover gray in a translucent manner, and will eventually fade to a pastel shade. Lighter GDY colors add a slight hue. It’s recommended that you leave the GDY hair color on for a full hour to process as some gray hair can be really resistant.
TIP: Applying heat with a blow dryer before you apply GDY will help to open up the cuticle layers of gray hair assisting the color to absorb. For the best results, it’s still recommended that you pre-lighten.
Visit a professional hair stylist or snag a friend to help apply GDY for the best possible results.
How long does GDY last?
Color fade varies from person to person, but in general, darker colors tend to last longer than lighter shades because they have a heavier dye load. If well taken care of, GDY color can last between 4 to 6 weeks.
What is goodDYEyoung Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer?
The goodDYEyoung Lightening Kit allows you to lighten your hair to a level 9 or 10 light blonde so when you apply the GDY colors, they will show up as radical and vibrant as possible.
We use 25 Volume Creme Developer so that your hair is left in good condition while offering just the right amount of lift to achieve lighter results.
Who can use goodDYEyoung Powdered Lightener?
- Always do a strand test to determine if your hair is strong enough for a lightener.
- Use the GDY Powder Lightener with 25 Volume Creme Developer for virgin hair that has not previously been color treated.
- GDY Powder Lightener with 25 Volume is great to lift natural hair that falls between a light brown and dark blonde to a level 9 or 10 light blonde.
- If you have naturally black to medium brown hair, and do not have color, a relaxer or permanent wave, and your hair is in good condition, you may need to repeat the application of the GDY Powder Lightener to achieve the desired results.
- Go to a professional for assistance if you have never lightened your hair before yourself… and even if you have, it’s a lot more fun to have a friend or a professional help out so you don’t miss any spots.
What if I dyed my hair with permanent black color, and want to lighten it with GDY Powder Lightener?
It’s dangerous to use GDY Powder Lightener on hair that has been treated with permanent black color. Lightening permanently colored black hair can be highly damaging to your hair and can cause severe breakage.
Do not attempt without consulting a professional hair stylist who can remove the black color for you.
If dyed black, try a goodDYEyoung red or pink shade that will create great highlights, complement your hair color and add condition and shine to your hair without damaging it.
What if I have virgin natural black hair and want to lighten it?
- Always start by doing a strand test.
- If you have virgin natural black hair, without any permanent color on it, you may have to repeat applications (apply, rinse, repeat process), with the goodDYEyoung Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer.
- If you have a relaxer of any kind on your hair, please refrain from using the Powder Lightener on your hair. Go to a professional.
What is the best way to apply GDY Lightening Kit?
Purchase two kits if this is your first time lightening your hair, or if you have thick or long hair, so that you have plenty of product with which to work. Remember, you will have to do your entire hair the first time so you want to make sure you have enough product. After you lighten your entire hair, the next application of GDY Powder Lightener in 4-6 weeks may only have to be applied to your root area. If this is the case, you will only need one GDY Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer.
What if I have dye already on my hair? How do I lighten it with goodDYEyoung Powder Lightener?
If you have color on your hair now, and you have LESS than ½” of regrowth showing, put the GDY Lightener from root to end following the directions above for sectioning and application.
If you have color on your hair now and you have MORE than ½” of regrowth, apply the Lightener to your regrowth last, after you have applied the Lightener to the rest of your hair. Virgin hair (hair without dye), lightens faster than color treated hair.
I've never used Lightener before. What should I do?
It’s always recommended you seek the help and advice of a professional hair stylist when for the first time you are coloring, and especially when you are lightening your hair. goodDYEyoung is always here to help guide your stylist on the use of GDY products if s/he is not familiar with our line.
Is there a specific amount of time I should leave the Lightener on my hair?
You can leave it on up to 30 minutes and then rinse out, shampoo and dry. Then lighten again for no more than 30 minutes 2-4 days later if you'd like it to be lighter, watching it closely as not to over process the hair. Since that would be your second time lightening, you may not even need the full 30 minutes.
What if after using the goodDYEyoung Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer, my hair still has a lot of gold and orange in it and is not a pale blonde? What do I do?
You may need to do another round of lightening. First take a strand test to ensure that your hair is able to take another round of lightening. If so, apply GDY Powder Lightener as directed, or go to our step-by-step guide.
What is your return/exchange policy?
All returns must be processed within 30 days of receiving the order and the product must be unused. You will be refunded in full to your original form of payment. To exchange the unused product for a different color or product, please purchase the items you are looking for and return your unused items to:
2525 Pullman Street
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Upon receipt of your return, your credit card will be credited within 10 business days. Please note: your original and return shipping charges are not refunded.
Step-By-Step Guide to Lighten Your Hair Using goodDYEyoung Powder Lightener
The very best way to apply a lightener to virgin hair (hair without dye), is as follows:
- Do a strand test to make sure your hair can take a lightener and also a patch test if you plan on applying the GDY Lightener to your scalp.
- Section and clip your hair into six sections by parting your hair down the middle and then side to side from top of ear to top of ear and from bottom of ear to bottom of ear.
- Start with the bottom sections first and apply GDY Lightener 1” away from the root area. The bottom of your hair is usually darker and more stubborn, that’s why you want to start there.
TIP: Did you know that the heat from the scalp will make the Powder Lightener swell, and it will process much more quickly at the root due to the heat from the scalp? That’s why you see people with brighter root areas much of the time...professional colorists call this “hot roots”. Hold off on applying the root area AFTER you are done processing the rest of the hair if you want to avoid this look.
- Methodically apply the GDY Lightener mixture in 2” sections of hair that are ¼” thick. If you take too thick of sections, you may miss spots, and may end up looking like a strange leopard, but that’s cool. Saturate the strand of hair by working the GDY Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer mixture evenly into each section with a gloved hand.
TIP: If the ends of your hair are lighter naturally, leave them out for now until after you have applied Powder Lightener to all the sections. Then go back and apply the Lightener to the ends. This will help prevent the ends of your hair from over processing ( aka: turning to mush).
- A good idea is to wrap each strand into tinfoil to help the Lightener lift faster and keep it from drying out. When Lightener dries out, it quits working.
TIP: If wrapping each section in tinfoil is a bore, then after you finish each quadrant, wrap it in plastic wrap. After you have completed the application, wrap your entire hair with plastic wrap like a turban…. and dah, leave your face out of the plastic wrap!
- Follow the instructions in your kit for processing times.
- After you have achieved the desired result, rinse Lightener out thoroughly with cool water.
- Do not shampoo!
- Very gently towel dry your hair by patting the water out. Never rub your hair with a towel after lightEning it, and please use a wide toothed comb to gently remove the tangles.
- Section your hair again into the six quadrants explained above. Mix up the second Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer and apply evenly to your root area starting in the back like you did before. Follow the instructions on processing times in your kit.
- After you have achieved the desired result, rinse out thoroughly with warm water, pat hair dry gently with a towel, remove tangles with a wide toothed comb and blow dry your hair.
- Now you can apply your favorite color of GDY hair color following the instructions in in the color kit.
Facts About goodDYEyoung
GDY hair dye does not damage hair and contains conditioning properties that rehydrate and correct porosity (roughness) in hair that is compromised.
GDY hair color should be used exactly as supplied and described on the packaging. Do not add peroxide or other permanent hair colorants.
GDY hair colorants may temporarily stain skin and permanently stain the fabric of clothes, towels and bedding etc., and that is such a bore, so be careful when applying and for sure have fun.
Do not use with alkaline based products as these will upset the pH balance needed for maximum absorption of color by the hair. Low pH or non-alcohol hair products are recommended.
Avoid contact with eyes, and do not use GDY color for eyebrows or eyelashes. If contact with eyes occurs, rinse out with warm water and contact a doctor.
- Not for internal use, avoid ingestion. Keep out of the reach of small children.
- For the best results, please use on porous, bleached, tinted or naturally light blonde hair.
- When applied to darker untreated hair, results may vary depending on hair shade and texture.
- Protect your skin from staining by applying shea butter, coconut oil or thick hair conditioner to your hairline and over the ears.
- If you get a little GDY on your skin, try rubbing toothpaste or baking soda paste (baking soda mixed with a little bit of water) onto the stain with a toothbrush and gently scrub in circular motions.
- Remember to keep your GDY color out of direct sunlight and in a cool, dry place. Direct sunlight or extreme heat can cause them to fade and change color.